Thursday, May 19, 2016

Are Chinese Wedding Veils Worth It?

A quick look on Ebay or Amazon will bring up hundreds of wedding veils for under $20. But can they be trusted? Are they a good deal? Are they wearable despite their cheap price? I ordered three different inexpensive wedding veils from China and here's how they compared to the ones I looked at in stores. I'm writing this honest, unsponsored opinion to help other brides. It is a confusing time for weddings these days. So much is available on the internet but it is hard to know who to trust. Many US sellers badmouth buying products from abroad, bur can they really be reliable if they're just competition? First some general advice:

1. Be sure to order far in advance, shipping from Asian countries can take a long time.
2. Look at as many photos as you can. Sometimes different sellers of the same product will have different pictures.
3. Double check that you selected the right color, many sellers have the option of white OR cream. and you want the veil to match your dress. I made the mistake of buying a cream veil the first time when my dress was white, and you could tell something was off, even though tulle is such a light, translucent fabric.

Now for the actual review of veils. Here are the three that I got:

The Juliet Cap Veil



This was a nightmare. I spent hours on the internet trying to find the perfect Juliet cap wedding veil. I was so excited when I found this one for a good price. I figured I could just take off the big clip and use the cap from the picture to make exactly what I wanted. It was a big mistake. When it arrived it was literally just a large piece of fabric and tacky crystal star clip. Nothing was sewn together. I eventually got over it and used the fabric to make my own Juliet cap veil, which you can see here. But I feel like this was a very misleading online photo.

The Crystal Edge Veil



This veil is very basic but it is what I was looking for. I wanted to add a little sparkle to my outfit and this was it. I actually ended up using this veil for part of my ceremony. It held together well and the edges looked good without any serious flaws or kinks. It was worth the few dollars I paid for it. I wish the crystal, or really plastic, had been a little bit smaller but that's my only real complaint. Here's a photo of it from the big day:



The Beaded Edge Veil



This wedding veil was absolutely beautiful. Personally, I ended up not using it because there was just too much going on with everything else I was wearing. I loved the detailed beading and I may refashion it into something else eventually, like a skirt lining. I would say that it was good quality. You could see the thread that connected the beads to the the veil, but that's expected.

Overall, I would say that buying overseas hair pieces is worth it, because you save a lot of money, but order at least a couple and have a backup plan. In my opinion, two out of three of the veils I ordered were great, those are pretty good odds. I'm not sure if I would do the same for an overseas wedding dress, but veils are a more simple purchase.


No comments:

Post a Comment